
Meadow Hills Estates

Board Meeting Agenda

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2022

6:00PM- 7:30PM

Agenda

- I. 6:00 PM Call to order
 - II. Roll Call
 - III. Review and Approval of shared Minutes
 - IV. Open Forum - Members invited to be heard
 - V. Reports
 - A. Treasurer's Report, Claudia Van Buren
 - B. ACC, Stacey Elswick
 - C. Safety, Security Jake
 - VI. Old Business
 - A. Annual Meeting
 - B. Web Master
 - VII. New business
 - VIII. Other business
 - IX. Open Forum -Members invited to be heard
 - X. Adjournment 7:30 PM
-



Meadow Hills Estates

Board Meeting

Tuesday, Oct 11, 2022

Attendees:

Jake Zambrano present

Curt Clifton present

1 board vacancy is unfilled

Stacey Elswick present

Tim Parkhurst present

Claudia VanBuren present

Bobby Schiff present

Call to Order 6:00 pm- Jake Zambrano President A Quorum is present

The Sept minutes production has been delayed due to a series of personal emergencies on behalf of the Secretary.

Open Forum - No homeowners present

Reports

Treasurer's Report /Communications Claudia Van Buren

Treasury: Spartan double billed for the mid-summer dumpsters. The 2nd billing was pursued on our behalf by the bank and returned to us. This occurred over Quarter 2 and Quarter 3 reflects the return of monies to our account. Spartan again billed us for a neighbor's ordered dumpsters. This billing statement was denied. We had previously discussed pursuing neighborhood trash collection through Spartan, but after discussion with them they will not be offering this service.

Communications: Kelton Schantz was approached by email and by text related to a suggestion by Tim Parkhurst that he could serve as webmaster. He did not respond to any of the outreach, it's presumed he does not have interest. Contact was made with Denise Rivas owner/operator Computer Tutor to solve the web posting issues and MailChimp difficulties. Her contract will be forwarded to the board for their review, and request for approval.

One of our neighbors suffered a personal tragedy. This neighbor previously served on the board. I will send a card and flowers on our behalf.



ACC Committee Report Stacey Elswick

Reviewing of inbox and addressing what is appropriate, I have been in touch with the Bellaire contact to determine if he is interested in taking on the ACC violations and notifications. The President of the Bellaire HOA, has not accepted the offer, at this time his position is unknown. We also discussed taking this on as a whole board. There is a lot of work to be done. Is there any interest in changing ACC regulations to reflect on topics such as Xeroscaping, solar, etc...so that we don't end up with yards that are solely purple rock. Our CCR's don't currently cover that.

CVB: Question- Does Bellaire have more robust CCRs around landscaping that we could adopt?

SE: I can look into that.

CVB: We could utilize Quickbooks to create letters for fines, or potential fines.


JZ: The attorney is reviewing our current by-laws and CCR language and determining whether we need to change these.

CC: Be careful or you will be creating arbitrary standards, you don't want to deal with. If my neighbor owns his house outright he can do whatever he wants.

JZ: Clarification: That is the role of an HOA - many neighborhoods have an acceptable palette of (paint) colors and you must submit a color choice within that palette. Pioneer Rock is very descriptive about the size texture, and color of the rock they offer. This too could be incorporated into our CCRs. There have to be parameters, standards and rules.

Pioneer website is very descriptive and you can define what you will allow in the neighborhood.

TP: I understand that rock supply is in short supply. Prices are through the roof, but as long as we are willing to work with homeowners on it. I don't see a problem with it. It is not the Board's responsibility to explain the by-laws or covenants to the homeowner. So that when we go around and violate them they are responsible for the rules. Our goal would be to do this all at once. We need to be cognizant of who is in arrears, and who is not in relation to by-laws updates and voting.



Action Item: Stacey will reach out to Richard Board President of Bellaire to determine if he would be willing to help us with violations.

TP: Stacey needs to get two more people on the ACC to help her. SE: Finding volunteers is harder than you might think. I am open to help and assistance. Related poorly write rules the volunteers resigned with the caveat the written rules as they stood put them at risk for litigation. TP: Craig Muntz my neighbor might be willing to help you. SE: We are all on the ACC. TP: Suggestion: For very bad properties, we need to ask those homeowners to submit a pla to be completed over one year. Send a certified letter, to major violators. Tim offered he could send 120 violations out today. JZ: Suggestion: Take the top 10-15 violators. And focus our time and energy on those. SE: Would it be appropriate to have the Attorney draw up a letter of notification and give a 60-day notice for correction and a schedule to complete it.

TP: Correction of fence issue by talking to a resident and it was taken care of.

CVB: ACC- Paint complaint, was the form for approval received? The form did not include the paint color being requested. The form was submitted based on a complaint. Time frame we currently use for approval of requests (2 weeks) is unrealistic for an all volunteer board.

RS: Example: Kenyon address - This house should have been given notice so that the new buyer is not inheriting a problem. A fine structure should have been in place. For this house, there was no notice of violation passed on to the new homeowner.

Giving a courtesy notice does not translate to a series of violations that transfer to a property when the home is sold. So it has to be an official violation.

CC: The status letter contains a line that asks if there are violations related to the transfer of real property.

RS: Have we served any ACC violation notices? Answer- No.

RS: We need to write violations, going forward.

SE: We have not done any violations. Could we notify the Real Estate Agent of overgrown foliage, for the "for sale" house on Dawson? Answer - Yes if the house has not already closed. This property has not been served notices of violations. We can get out 15-30 if we work on this together. Property at Lehigh and Eagle has trash on the porch.

JZ: We cannot call on a single volunteer to be the Central repository for all clerical work. Perhaps Richard will do this work for us, if not hire someone at \$20 an hour to do this.

CVB: We can ask Melissa to do some of this clerical work. Doing some of this work was part of her contract.



SE: This is work Judi used to do.

TP: When they (residents in violation) hit \$450 (in fines) it gets turned over to the lawyer.

CVB: This process is not working. If it were working we would have the documentation to move forward and we do not.

JZ: As it stands If I go through my 9 months of violation notices and pay my \$459.00 I reset the clock, and nothing happens.

JZ: Can the Bookkeeper update GWS to show /track violations?

SE: I suspect we can customize the letter with a picture, and address, and send it via Quickbooks and I can have a conversation with Melissa (with others who want to be a part of that) to determine what the best processes are. Then it is automatically in our books. Then store these items in GWS under that address. I am willing to do some of this but I am not willing to all it. Who on this board is going to go into GWS and use this to document?

JZ: I don't think we need to track violations in QB.

CVB: I would like to bring a **motion** that whichever board member does not wish to use their GWS board email or utilize GWS to track documentation that we remove that license and give one to Melissa, our CPA. This is an ongoing monthly expense, we have a fiduciary responsibility to deter waste.

SE: I would like to modify the motion to read - That we approve the removal of Curt's license and repurposed to give Melissa Haines our CPA, a license. For the purpose of tracking and documenting violations in GWS. CVB: **Motion on the floor is withdrawn.**

New Motion: SE I propose dissolving Licenses currently held (but not used) by Curt Clifton and issue Melissa Haines CPA Registered Agent a license for GWS.

2nd by Curt Clifton Vote 6-0 in favor. Passed.

RS: What is happening with the remodeling of Elkhart? Clarification: If you are building onto your house, you must submit a plan. SE: A request was submitted some months ago. Blueprints were submitted. JZ SE CVB attended the request meeting for this property. These were virtual gatherings - mostly through email exchange. No change in the roof pitch. It was approved. Landscaping and Remodeling have been going to that group of three. Anything requiring a variance is brought to the whole board for a vote.

SE: Remodeling is at the back of their property.



RE: The complaint is whether the setbacks have been honored. SE: Nothing violated setbacks. The permits are in place.

TP: Who approved this plan?

CVB: This remodel was approved through a meeting with Jake Stacey and Claudia. via email, (June 27th email.) of the smaller ACC committee. While the larger Board would sign all violation notices, this was strictly to address all remodel requests.

SE: With only a 14 day approval timeframe this has to occur via email. We will not be able to bring it to the monthly meeting based on some submission dates.

TP: Unless you (the board) are buying me a computer, I am not going to use it. I have concerns about privacy, who can see my emails and that we don't have rules in place for how this works.

SE Someone at Lingow (company that supports use of GWS may have the power to change it. I want to press Time Out on this issue. We have had many opportunities to make this work. If you don't want to do this, don't do it. I have offered personal time to tutor and help anyone that needs it.

JZ This is the benefit of the cloud - it will all be virtual, and anyone can see how a document is revised. The reverse is true for chain of custody paper documents, previous boards and previous notices of violations, these that were all on paper, became lost, or were placed on a static spreadsheet. As an Excel spreadsheet it could be manipulated, in the cloud it is protected. As I write on documents my co-workers can see what I have written and when.

Action Item: Jake will have the attorney draft with the appropriate language . Stacey will send out 10-15 letters.

Claudia will notify the RE Agent for a Dawson address that their yard is overgrown. Claudia will get a license for Melissa Haines our CPA bookkeeper and retract the unused, unwanted licenses of Curt Clifton and Tim Parkhurst.

New Business

JZ: Annual dues - We are in a healthy place financially. We are insured properly, we don't own common property, we have no need to replace the fence. So do we scale back dues? Do we leave them as is? Do we want a tree pruning company or some other amenity in its place? What are the thoughts of the board.

CC: It was left at the last budget that we had collected \$25,000 in dues and had a budget of \$10,000. This is morally wrong and needs to be corrected.



JZ: I don't know that it is morally wrong, but it maybe too much.

CVB: I would like to see us implement other programs on behalf of our neighborhood, programs that enhance community relations. Dumpster events should not be our only opportunity to visit with our neighbors. We know historically previous boards have misappropriated funds for private gatherings and this should not happen.

TP: I suggest we get our financials together for review and do this at our next session, then determine dues for the 2023 year.

JZ: I would be infavor of exploring a bold move to create a program to deal with trees.

SE: Not everyone will need to get their trees done. Then if we expend board funds for some we will need to determine how to

TP: Some of our trees are City Trees. The City will trim these. We previously voted on a \$75.00 dues increase for LPR cameras.

CVB: If we look at the previous surveys the residents voted in favor of cameras at 76%.

Other Business

CVB: A facebook post by one of our neighbors, notes the city is offering new Neighborhood watch sign placement. Can we identify where we would like new signs and arrange for placement? Our current signs sit at Lehigh, east of Elkhart and Dawson near the Hampden St entrance.

JZ: This would be a visual deterrent.

CC: Are there "teeth" behind those?

SE: Do we want to make a motion regarding where these would go then determine what expense we would incur. We need to understand the costs of future web applications we currently use, to determine our future expenses, before we spend any money.

TP: **MOTION:** I move to approve the signs.

CC: I don't know why we would do this.



JZ: Lets table the motion and do further research with the City.

RS: The City will not place these signs on our camera poles but likely would piggy back this on to an existing city directional sign.

Other discussion: Camera poles with Under surveillance signs, we need to address these, if we are not going to replace the cameras.

Action Item: Jake will research with the City what is being offered. Claudia will let Jake know where our current signs are.

Meeting adjourned 7:30 pm